From: Gies, Don (Nokia - US) [mailto:don.g...@nokia-bell-labs.com]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 10:17 AM
To: Gary McInturff; EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: slightly off target but NEMA 4

Gary,

The short answer for the difference in tests is because the NEMA 250 and IEC
60529 standards evolved separately and became the norms for North America and
the rest of the world, respectively.

A mechanical engineer colleague of mine once pointed out that the pressure
coming out of the nozzle for the IPX6 test nozzle, 100 liters per minute
through a 12.5 mm diameter circular opening, is actually higher than that of
the NEMA Type 4 Hosedown Test, conducted at 240 liters per minute (65 gallons
per minute) through a 25 mm (1 inch) diameter circular opening.  I can confirm
this because when we put a set-up in our facility at Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ
by having a fire-hose spigot put into the main water line, we had enough water
pressure to conduct the NEMA Type 4 Hosedown Test, but not enough to conduct
the IPX6 test. We installed a fire pump in the water line to boost the pressure
up in order to conduct the IPX6 test.

Best regards,

DON GIES
NOKIA Bell Labs