Doug

Historically, France – of which Monaco is effectively a part for technical
requirements – used to mandate yellow/amber headlight (we had to fit coloured
adapters if we went to France at that time) but I think that has now changed.

Also, there is another factor to consider – age. As we get older, our eyes lose
the accommodation to deal with objects at different distances (certainly true
for me) and we often begin to suffer from eye defects like cataracts,  which
cause blurred vision, and those factors cause problems in either very high or
low levels. So, at night, rapidly varying light levels cause (at least me) a
lot of problems when driving that I never suffered when younger.

Finally, different peoples’ eyes vary quite a lot.  I actually have pretty
reasonable vision in very, very low light levels in which my wife can see
nothing at all – so my sight sensitivity must be basically quite high, but it
means I can’t cope with very high levels (be that the Sun or very bright car
headlights). All these factors make the problems difficult to solve, and
anything that makes the situation more extreme also makes them even worse.

John E Allen

W.London, UK