Hi Stephen,

Lots of questions are required to answer your question with any accuracy.  I
assembled a system to do spherical patterning to our product antennas above 1
GHz, so I have some exposure to the problems.

A few of those questions:

-          Are these product antennas rather than well behaved metrology type
antennas?

-          Are they independent or built into a product?

-          Is the transmitting device unique or intended to be used as a module
in many products?

-          What is the frequency range to be investigated?

If I can make a guess, my interpretation of 2D would be planar pattern cuts on
each of three orthogonal axes vs 3D being an altitude/azimuth pattern measured
at some spherical radius.

Just to be even less helpful than I have been, there are IEEE, ANSI and IEC
standards that don’t always agree and need more information to pick and choose
from.

Keep at it!

Brent G DeWitt

Milford, MA