Ralph,

We had an indoor setup similar to what you describe back in the 1980s when I
worked for Tandem Computers.  The downsides of such a set-up are numerous.
We had a Memorex facility on the other side of the wall (I have no idea what
they did there) and whenever we found a signal the first question was, "Is
it real, or is it Memorex?"  In the middle of a parking lot you are going to
have the same question, over and over again.  Is the signal coming from the
EUT or someplace else?  I hope the EUT starts and stops operating quickly as
I can see a lot of "Turn it off!  Is the signal still there?  Turn it back
on and keep tuning." In your future.  And good luck in the FM broadcast band
and the television broadcast bands.  Back in the days of analog TV testing
in the TV bands wasn't too bad.  You had a 6 MHz wide channel with a carrier
for audio and a carrier for video.  The actual video information was pretty
low and generally not a problem.  Now with digital stations basically owning
that 6 MHz channel from one end to the other testing at an OATS (or in a
parking lot) where TV stations are plentiful is difficult.  Depending on
where you are you may lose the ability to test in a fair amount of spectrum.

You will need a metal ground plane.  Without it your chances of meeting NSA,
especially in the vertical polarity, are slim.

Best of luck.  Let me know if you need more help.

Ghery S. Pettit, NCE
Pettit EMC Consulting LLC
gh...@pettitemcconsulting.com