The problem with focusing on the code is that real world experience is that a
high percentage of the failures which occur with software related safety are a
failure of the original specification for what the software is supposed to do,
not failures of the code to do what the programmer intended. Particular
problems occur if the limits of operation of the equipment are not properly
understood: a classic example being a passenger aircraft crash caused by the
avionics being unable to detect when the aircraft wheels had hit the runway in
very wet conditions due to aquaplaning whereas in the dry conditions under
which the system was tested it worked perfectly.

This is why standards which deal with software in safety related applications
(including those derived from IEC 61508, and the medical devices software
standard, IEC 62304) focus much more on the overall procedure for specifying
and designing the software and then checking that the specification has been
met, and are not overly prescriptive about language, structure or other
detailed requirements for code.

Nick.