Hi Brent,

When I was looking for my first big flat screen TV, it was just when LED
backlighting was coming into vogue. A friend of mine, and amateur radio
astronomer, had earlier purchased one of the plasma sets from Panasonic and
discovered the broadband noise level had increased by 30 dB at his place,
negating any thought of listening to planets and galaxies.

He eventually contacted the EMC guy there and together determined the set
probably didn’t comply with FCC regulations. Panasonic eventually “bought back”
the set and he went with an LED-backlit set, which was much quieter.

Circling back to my purchase and knowing this back-story as well as my interest
in ham radio, I walked into Best Buy with my portable spec an and telescoping
antenna. As I started measuring each set, it wasn’t long before a group of
sales guys gathered to ask what in the world I was doing! So, of course, as a
consultant and trainer in EMC, I proceeded to give them a short introduction to
EMC and radiated emissions. Everyone had a good time, as well as learning
something.

Yes, I managed to find a “quiet” set - a Toshiba. Maybe you could do the same?

Cheers, Ken

_______________________

I'm here to help you succeed! Feel free to call or email with any questions
related to EMC or EMI troubleshooting - at no obligation. I'm always happy to
help!

Kenneth Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC
56 Aspen Dr.