Agreed Ken.  In this case the e-field conversion is irrelevant, and the
specified antenna factor is what it is.

From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 11:11 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] CORRECTION (wrong page) Passive Loop Emissions [General
Use]

If we go all the way back to the OP:

The customer has requested an extended magnetic field emission test over the
range 100kHz to 2MHz with a limit defined in dBpT.
The antenna to be used is an EMCO 6512 which has it correction factors
provided in dBS/m which the emission software used does not recognise.
So is there a conversion factor that enables the right correction factor to
be entered or is the conversion factor only used once a result is obtained??

We can see that whether we are in the far field or not doesn't matter at
all.

If we were using an electric field probe (say a 41" rod) to measure to a
limit expressed in dBuA/m or dBpT, then we would absolutely have to make an
assumption about the impedance of the wave in order to use a pure electric
field measurement to get at magnetic field characterization.

But that is not the case: we are using a shielded loop which not only
inherently measures the magnetic field, but rejects the electric field.  So
we have a limit expressed in units of magnetic flux density, which in air is
directly proportional to magnetic field (the 2 dB factor discussed
previously) and we have a loop antenna factor that gets us from the EMI
receiver measured rf potential to the magnetic field impinging on the loop
that induced it.

Problem solved; case closed.

P.S.  For any who aren't convinced or don't follow the logic, look at the
antenna factors here:

http://www.ets-lindgren.com/charts/6512

Both factors are the same except for the 51.5 dB ohm offset, discussed
previously and both clearly exhibit the Faraday Law response of a loop to a
magnetic field as a function of increasing frequency. One can even derive
the loop inductance by looking at where the Faraday Law proportionality to
frequency flattens out: that is where the 50 ohm receiver impedance begins
to load the inductive output impedance of the loop.  It is not the magnetic
antenna factor that is in question; it is the electric field antenna factor
that makes the assumption of a plane wave. The magnetic field will be
measured precisely; the electric field measured using this loop is a
guesstimate based on a far-field assumption.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <sdoug...@ieee.org <mailto:sdoug...@ieee.org> >