Thanks for the details, Brian!  I have Pressman's 3rd edition and didn't
see any significant discussion of initial transient/charging behaviors, but
perhaps haven't read closely enough yet.

My experience w/50% FL de-rating has been different but seems related to
your comments regarding component temperatures/airflow.  One supplier has
public qualification data that includes e-cap lifetimes versus load % and
ambient temperature and has told me that e-cap stress is their biggest
reliability concern.  Another supplier has provided predicted reliability
at different load %'s (but not demonstrated).  I am fairly familiar w/HALT
and SR322 (had a reliability engineer role at one time).

For the in-rush behavior, I have thought it to be a function of the primary
side circuit design (capacitors & current limiters) in the 1ms range.  Did
you mean AC bus or DC bus charging for the multiple cycles case?  I am
interested to do a bit more testing of an existing design under different
load conditions based on your description.  I have disassembled supplies
from different suppliers in the past in the 100W to 300W load range in
order to compare input/output capacitors and overall designs.  On the
primary side, all capacitances have been within a 2X range (80uF to 164uF @
420/450V) and on the output side a 10X range (1000uF to 10000uF and with
very different e-cap voltage de-rating from 1.5x to 7x of Vout).

For the upstream protection, there are definitely differences in CB
performance whether thermal or combined thermal/magnetic. Depending on the
installation location, I have seen instances of local supplementary
protection (UL1077 CB's) in addition to branch protection, so I am wanting
to make sure the whole power distribution system is well understood for a
range of system designs/sizes.

 Thanks again!

-Adam

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Brian O'Connell <oconne...@tamuracorp.com>