From: Adam Dixon [mailto:lanterna.viri...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:02 AM
To: Brian O'Connell
Cc: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] AC/DC power conversion and system architecture (in-rush
limiting, reliability, cabling)

Thanks for the details, Brian!  I have Pressman's 3rd edition and didn't see
any significant discussion of initial transient/charging behaviors, but perhaps
haven't read closely enough yet.
My experience w/50% FL de-rating has been different but seems related to your
comments regarding component temperatures/airflow.  One supplier has public
qualification data that includes e-cap lifetimes versus load % and ambient
temperature and has told me that e-cap stress is their biggest reliability
concern.  Another supplier has provided predicted reliability at different load
%'s (but not demonstrated).  I am fairly familiar w/HALT and SR322 (had a
reliability engineer role at one time).
For the in-rush behavior, I have thought it to be a function of the primary
side circuit design (capacitors & current limiters) in the 1ms range.  Did you
mean AC bus or DC bus charging for the multiple cycles case?  I am interested
to do a bit more testing of an existing design under different load conditions
based on your description.  I have disassembled supplies from different
suppliers in the past in the 100W to 300W load range in order to compare
input/output capacitors and overall designs.  On the primary side, all
capacitances have been within a 2X range (80uF to 164uF @ 420/450V) and on the
output side a 10X range (1000uF to 10000uF and with very different e-cap
voltage de-rating from 1.5x to 7x of Vout).
For the upstream protection, there are definitely differences in CB performance
whether thermal or combined thermal/magnetic. Depending on the installation
location, I have seen instances of local supplementary protection (UL1077 CB's)
in addition to branch protection, so I am wanting to make sure the whole power
distribution system is well understood for a range of system designs/sizes.
 Thanks again!
-Adam

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Brian O'Connell <oconne...@tamuracorp.com>