The discharge will be much more energetic than a CDM event as there is MUCH
more energy stored off the card than the card itself in this case, but passes
through the card. The capacitance is much higher than Tom realizes below.
Somewhere below a CDM event and an IEC event.

eration is how will the card stand up to hundreds or thousands of small,
ubiquitous  ESD events that cannot be felt by humans but cause slow degradation
from not only insertion but handling over several months. No one tests for that
yet. I have designed an apparatus that does that job and it has proven very
useful.

Doug Smith

University of Oxford, Course Tutor
Department for Continuing Education
Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Doug Smith
P.O. Box 60941
Boulder City, NV 89006-0941
TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013
Mobile: 408-858-4528
Email: d...@dsmith.org
Web: http://www.dsmith.org

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 07:27:33 +0900, "T.Sato"  wrote:

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:24:23 +0000,
  "Grasso, Charles"  wrote:

> Aside from the obvious air discharge tests around the SD card slot (with and
> without the SD card installed) are there
> any concerns regarding the ESD performance of the SD card during INSERTION?

Only a guess...

SD card may be charged before insertion, and may cause discharge from those
contacts when inserted.
This situation may slightly similar to that simulated with charged device
model (CDM), and the discharge may be much faster than that of IEC 61000-4-2
and ISO 10605.
However, it's capacitance is low, and I think it will not become a serious
problem in general.

In case of Compact Flush card, I ever heard of a case where metalized label
on the card created an unexpected path for electrostatic discharges and
caused a problem when hold by hand and inserted to a device.

Regards,
Tom

--
Tomonori Sato