From: Doug Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 11:06 PM
To: EMC-PSTC <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>; Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [PSES] IEC/ANSI/UL/CSA 60950-1 ed.2 Mains Vrms vs Vpeak

"Unlike all other engineering disciplines, safety engineering is consensus
driven, not research driven.  It is almost devoid of physical laws to guide its
practitioners.”

Yikes! This sounds rather subjective and flies in the face of one of my
arguments to design engineers who say these rules are just opinions and
therfore invalid.  My answer to them usually is, while it is true that many
requirements are a result of litigation and CYA, much of it is also based in
real science.  I usually point to IEC 60664-1.  Now I am hearing that the 60950
committee did not use the document so much as I had originally thought.

I'm not sure I'm happy with this idea. Maybe those design engineers have a
point after all.

-- Doug

Douglas E Powell

doug...@gmail.com <mailto:doug...@gmail.com>