A classic reference.  We have a copy in our library here.

The only time I’ve seen trace-trace breakdown was on a PV combiner circuit
board, where the creepage distance was about ¼ of what was called out by the
standard.  The resulting failure was repeatable using impulse voltage withstand
testing, which suggested that it was a clearance failure rather than creepage.
The board was not conformal coated, although there was solder mask.

I’ve long assumed that creepage distance requirements in 60664 have lots of
margin built in.  Pollution degree microenvironments are defined in a way which
makes distinction a little vague.

Pollution degree 2
Only non-conductive pollution occurs except that occasionally a temporary
conductivity
caused by condensation is to be expected

Pollution degree 3
Conductive pollution occurs or dry non-conductive pollution occurs which becomes
conductive due to condensation which is to be expected.

PD2 likely a suitable assumption for any used at home, at an office, a
classroom, a retail store in mall,  or in a well air-conditioned building.
However, I wouldn't expect condensation in those environments.

PD3 likely a suitable assumption for equipment in a garage, a shed, a workshop,
or inside buildings which are neither air-conditioned nor heated, or in
bathrooms, change rooms and the like.  Accumulation on surface of the PCBs and
on components could be conductive when dry.  (e.g. soot or carbon dust)  And,
condensation would be expected.

Ralph McDiarmid
Product Compliance
Engineering