From: Nyffenegger, Dave [mailto:dave.nyffeneg...@bhemail.com]
Sent: 22 August 2017 18:03
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Surge Suppression - Dos, and Don'ts

I've not had any NRTL be concerned with protection of the surge protector.
The surge protector is typically protecting against product failure not fire
or operator injury.  The NRTL is not concerned with surge protector failure
as long as it doesn't result in a hazardous condition.  If the manufacturer
of the surge protector has specific conditions of use including protection
then the NRTL would expect those to be followed.  Of course they want to see
that the surge protector itself is NRTL approved.  The surge protectors
typically need to be removed for production line dielectric test, this is
understood by the NRTL.

-Dave