Hi Brian:

If your charger is powered from 120/240 volts
domestic service, the maximum transient
over-voltage is about 6 kV due to the clearances
in the service entrance.  Domestic equipment will
never see 15 kV.

Likewise, for industrial service, the maximum
transient over-voltage will be determined by the
clearances in the service entrance, and not likely
as high as 15 kV (18 mm according to IEC 60664-1,
Table F.2).

So, it appears to me that your charger is to be
connected to an unprotected overhead service that
is subject to lightning strikes up to 15 kV.
Suppression is difficult.

But, you said "pass," not suppress.  Easier, but
takes lots of space - 18 mm between all
conductors.  And some good, HV solid insulation.
Did your customer specify expected energy?

You might do a Google search for 15 kV surge
arrester.

Best regards,

Rich