John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2018-01-31 18:38, Kunde, Brian wrote:

Most interesting.  Thanks.

*From:*msherma...@comcast.net [mailto:msherma...@comcast.net]
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:27 PM
*To:* Kunde, Brian
*Cc:* EMC-PSTC
*Subject:* [BULK] Re: [PSES] GFCI vs GFPE
*Importance:* Low

IEC TC 116 in in the process of folding the 60745-1 (hand held motor operated tool) standards into the 62841 series (Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery). See their dashboard at:

http://www.iec.ch/dyn/www/f?p=103:30:13397277133783::::FSP_ORG_ID,FSP_LANG_ID:4112,25

My reference was not from a part 2, but actually from section 21.16 of 60745-1:

"

Tools employing liquid systems shall protect the user against the increased risk of shock due to the presence of liquid under conditions of normal use and the faults of the liquid
system.
Tools employing liquid systems shall be either:
• of class III construction;
• of class I or class II construction and be provided with a residual current device and comply
with 14.4, 14.5 and 14.6; or
• of class I or class II construction and be designed for use in combination with an isolating
transformer and comply with 14.4 and 14.5.

"

Section 14.4 describes using a salt water mix to simulate overfilling or misassembling and then testing for leakage.

I do not know whether your product falls within scope of 62841; perhaps your favorite NRTL could help. Your favorite NRTL might even have someone on the committee who could help with a question.

Mike