James,

               The interoperability of equipment continues to get more
complicated as switching technology spreads more ubiquitously.   It is well
known that electronic protection devices (including  RCDs & GFCIs) are
suffering 'nuisance' tripping which seems to be inadequately characterized
incoming signals.  Additional EMC type tests will have to be added to harden
the units against these signals, while ensuring that that the unit properly
operates when it should.  Expect more such testing.  You can search for the
recent paper I did with students where we were able to 'trick' the GFCI into
tripping when it shouldn't; 'nuisance' tripping in action.

               Historically, the HV impulse tests applied are safety tests.
These tests were given to the EMC lab engineers as the safety engineers, in
those days, didn't provide much lab availability or experience - they mostly
peeked and poked at components in the assembly assessing spacings and
similar.  Oh, how much this has changed today.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 23427

Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow