It really happens in white goods.  They want to streamline the process
using toothed star washer.  I fully agree your point and will read the
reference book later to understand it in greater detail.  IPC is generally
for normal electronic assembly and did not remember any reference for
earthing connection.

What is CSA engineering manual for 60950-1?  Is it explanatory note for
60950-1 requirements?

Thanks and regards,

Scott