You mean I wasn’t supposed to replace the thermal cutout in my coffee maker
(with identical part)?

From: Richard Nute [mailto:ri...@ieee.org]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 3:22 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Rating & WEEE markings on lithium-ion rechargeable battery

Hi Scott:

It matters not WHO determines battery lifetime is product lifetime.  If the
battery is permanently installed (glue is permanent) in the product, then
battery lifetime is product lifetime.  The fact that some users or technicians
can undo the glue or other permanency construction and replace the battery is
not a factor in determining product lifetime.  (Such folks probably have a good
idea of a replacement battery before disassembly is started.)  Despite such
antics, the battery is not replaceable, so it need not be marked with
replacement data.  (Just like the thermal cutout in my waffle iron!)

Risk assessment process is highly subjective; for this reason, I remain highly
skeptical of the results.  Do a risk assessment of an ordinary power cord!

Best regards,
Rich