IMO, part of the answer is how it is being sold.  If the product is known and
sold as Model ABC, then it should be tested as a system for compliance to the
applicable directives and standards and a DoC would be written for Model ABC
and it would indicate the various 'components' that comprise Model ABC.  If we
assume LVD and EMC then it would be tested as a system for compliance in a
typical user configuration (we won't go down that path for now).

The TCF would have critical components list, basically the various 'components'
that make up Model ABC and if they all have their own individual approvals,
your done.  If, however, they do not have individual approvals you may need to
describe them in mode detail in the TCF.

When additional 'components' are added, again assuming they have their own
approvals you can add them to the DoC and the TCF.  If you decide to not do any
additional testing then write an Engineering Justification as to why no
additional  tests were done.  Or you can retest the original configuration with
the additional 'components'.

My two cents worth.