Hi Jeff:

Back in the days when people had ordinary telephones and AM radio stations were
common, it was a “known thing” that cables near an AM radio transmitter could
develop common mode voltages up to 3 Vrms.  If the phone did not have perfect
earth balance at the AM frequency, there would be a common-mode-to-differential
conversion that would create a differential RF signal on the phone line pair.

Any non-linearity in the phone circuit, such as a diode, would demodulate the
differential AM RF signal, with the result that the AM radio music/voice could
be clearly heard in the telephone handset.

I’m describing this to you because it is the only situation where I have
personally seen a performance degradation due to common mode RF on a cable.
Hearing AM radio broadcasts in ordinary phones was a common problem.

CISPR has extended this principle to a range of frequencies that is larger than
the AM band, and to performance degradation that that includes digital
malfunctions as well.

Presumably they had their reasons for this, but I do not know the rationale.
All I can say is that I hope the real-world example I described above gives you
some idea of what CISPR may be concerned about.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.

781-721-2848 (USA)