Jeff,

I’m not sure what the technical rationale was back when CISPR 24 was originally
published (yes, the 3 V limit dates back to then) but as I recall the idea was
that above 80 MHz you could generate a uniform field and below 80 MHz this was
far more difficult.  Why 80 MHz?  Because it was convenient (as best as I
recall).  When we wrote CISPR 35 the thought was that 3 V/m resulted in a lower
voltage than was tested to in CISPR 24, so the limit was lowered.

The test levels called out in IEC 61000-4-6 have no bearing on the levels
actually called out in CISPR 35.  The same goes for radiated immunity above 80
MHz.  The IEC 61000-4-x documents are called out as test methods, the test
levels are called out in the product family standards, in this case CISPR 35.

If you (or the client) feel that the test levels are wrong I would suggest that
you join the US CISPR I TAG and make your concerns known.  Contact me privately
and I’ll be happy to provide you with the email address of the US Technical
Expert who will (I’m sure) be happy to have you join the TAG.

I hope this helps.

Ghery S. Pettit

Chair, CISPR SC I