From: Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org>
Sent: 08 October 2021 22:42
To: Charlie Blackham <char...@sulisconsultants.com>; EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [PSES] UL 510 Flame retardant tape

Hi Charlie:

Rather than guess:

https://www.kaptontape.com/PDF/Kapton_Films_Datasheet.pdf
https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/amer/us/en/products/ei-transformation/documents/DEC-Kapton-HN-datasheet.pdf
https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/amer/us/en/products/ei-transformation/documents/EI-10167-Kapton-General-Specifications.pdf

After looking at the above specs, I'm inclined to believe that Kapton tape will
provide an acceptable fire enclosure (as good as any other plastic material).
It is tough stuff!  And relatively expensive.

If you are going to test it (as suggested by Ted), I suggest a side-by-side
test with the alternate fire enclosure plastic material.

Note that IEC 62368-1 uses IEC 60695-11-10 for flammability rating rather than
UL 94 and UL 510.  There are no specific requirements for fire-enclosure tape.

Stay safe, and best regards,
Rich