A Friday thought:  Where would we be if "prudent avoidance" was all we ever
did?  Is this 5G situation overly conservative or just outright lazy because
someone didn't do the science to come up with a definitive result?  Do
people protesting 5G have any basis?  Did 5G cause COVID-19?  I digress to
the ridiculous.

My background and rambling thoughts on the topic are:

Humans have been bathed in electromagnetic fields from the earth, sun, and
cosmos since emergence from single-celled organisms and a soup of primordial
building blocks.  We may have introduced new frequency ranges and field
strengths, but if life on earth was that susceptible, we would not have
gotten beyond those first DNA and RNA strands forming.

No one has been able to convince me that non-ionizing RF within regulated
power levels, which are based on thermal effect hazards with margin, cause
harms that are meaningful or unacceptable.  Sure, there have been
non-thermal claims over the years, but none has held up under scrutiny,
peer-review, or attempts to duplicate the results.

According to the NTSB, the annual odds that a typical American will die in a
plane crash are about 1 in 11 million.  Around 1 in 9 thousand for a car
crash annually.  Both of these are acceptable as we still fly or ride in a
car.  The level of risk is accepted.  It doesn't appear RF exposure is as
dangerous as a car ride.  Probably not as dangerous as a plane trip either.
How does prudent avoidance fit in?  Did the keynote speaker at one of the
USA IEEE EMC Symposia get there by car or plane?

Based on what I personally have read, I am comfortable with 5G, the Wi-Fi in
my house and in public, the Bluetooth and 4G in my phone, airport screening,
and my ham radio hobby.  The risk equation includes harm and exposure.  I do
not personally believe the harm extends beyond what we already know about
and I am comfortable with the existing limits on exposure levels.  Low risk
for me personally that I am more comfortable with than flying.  I also don't
believe that people can have a Wi-Fi allergy.  Others may have come to
different conclusions.

We all set our own risk tolerance levels over a wide range of personal
activities and actions.  Some things that once were thought safe have been
proven to cause harm and vice versa as time and science progressed.  We
should not let bad science or irrational thoughts jump to unreasonable
conclusions however.

I see parallels in toxicology.  Acetaminophen does nothing for you at low
doses, has clinically proven benefits at around 1000 mg/kg/day, but will
kill you at over 30,000 mg/kg/day.  There is definitely the potential for
harm there, but at the right exposure level there are benefits, and at lower
exposure levels, no effect.  I'm not saying RF has beneficial effects, but
at levels lower than what can cause thermal damage, I believe there is no
harm.

Have a good weekend!

Dan