Good morning all.

I printed out the article, read it quite closely and can only agree with
95%+ of what the author wrote - the notable exception being the paragraph on
the 1st page beginning "CE is all about ."!!!!

Like many of you guys, whilst in "gainful employment" I did a LOT of "CE
compliance" work for various companies, generally as an employee - but
sometimes as a contractor/ consultant and, from my own experience, I can say
that employing one of the latter to do the work is potentially a very
"risky" approach!

As most of us know (or should by now!), it is the company's, not the
contractor's /consultant's,  legal responsibility to ensure that the CE
compliance files are complete and correct and do demonstrate that the legal
requirements have been met - and there's the big risk in employing a
contractors/consultant to do the legwork to create them.

Unless that person has been working for the company for long enough to
really know and understand how the company systems work - especially in the
areas of design, development and materials control & manufacturing - then
he/she won't know the "whole story" behind the product & project. Therefore
he/she is very likely to miss critical issues that could affect whether the
final compliance documentation actually reflects the way in which the
product has been designed & built and whether it actually meets the
requirements of the "CE compliance" regulations & standards.

Most contractors/consultants that are brought into a company for a specific
time/cost constrained compliance project won't know "all of that", and
therefore the company is at risk of signing off on faulty documentation and
leaving themselves open to possible legal action in the future...

John E Allen

W. London, UK