Doug --

Thanks for mentioning this!

Yes, I've seen these 30 mA RCDs or RCCBs before, but not an RCBO (confused?
Google can explain these acronyms).

I've even recommended these for large machinery. The ones we used had
adjustable trip points up to 30 mA. Note that I recommended these for MACHINE
protection, not PERSONAL protection. The theory was to monitor potential
breakdown of the dielectric of the machine by watching the ground leakage
current. As I recall, early on we found, before it failed completely, a
variable speed fan drive motor with bridged dielectric that was grounding out
through a shaft bearing.

I'd love to hear what PETE PERKINS has to say about this!

Personally, given that North American GFCIs for 120 VAC have trip points of 4-6
mA, I've tended to not like to exceed that number. As I recall, Pete has
demonstrated that even 5 mA will be a current to remember if you conduct it.

That said, I think Pete told me a while back that the NEC is raising the
allowable leakage current for EV chargers to something quite above 5 mA. I'm
sure there's a good story behind that.

Note also that GFCIs, and as I recall the RCD we were using, could fail
silently and thus needed to be tested regularly to ensure continued protection.

Mike Sherman