Good afternoon.

I'm trying to understand some vehicle EMC standards better. I'm sure this is an easy one for the list's experts.

UN/ECE Regulation 10 (R10) and ISO 13766 have different limits for “narrowband” and “broadband” emissions, but the detector bandwidth requirements are the same for both emission types.

Several standards (and search engine hits) indicate that the termss “narrowband” and “broadband” refer to an emission's bandwidth relative to a receiver's IF bandwidth, not to a signal's fundamental frequency.

In light of the above, the intent does not seem to be to measure narrowband and broadband emissions separately, but to observe the measured spectrum and evaluate the results against both of the limits. The peaky (spikey) results against the narrowband limits and the more spread out results against the broadband limits.

Do I understand this correctly? If not, or there is more to the story, please educate me.

Regards and thanks,

Peter Tarver

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>