This has always confused me.  Consider the EUT as ITE or Laboratory
Equipment (61010-1).

I can see where the PE conductor is opened and you place the Human Body
Impedance Circuit (Measuring Device or MD) between the accessible metal
chassis of the EUT and PE to measure the leakage current that a person
might be exposed to.

However, when Leakage Current is tested and recorded in the lab, the PE
conductor is opened, but the MD is placed between L1 and chassis, and then
to Neutral (L2) and chassis. These values are measured and recorded with
the power switch  ON and OFF.    But in real life, the USER does not have
access to L1 or N. So why is the test done that way?

Or am I totally mistaken about how the MD is referenced during the test?

Thanks to all in advance.

The Other Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html