Hi Brian:

1.      IEC 61010-1 references IEC 60990 for leakage current tests.  The test
you describe (MD connected to L1) is NOT in 60990.

2.      The PE and N (“grounded” conductor) are connected together at the
electrical service entrance to the building and connected to a ground rod.
This means the N is “accessible” because ground is accessible.

3.      When the MD is connected to the chassis and to L1, the indicated
leakage current should be zero, or near zero.  This is not a useful test.
(Maybe the lab is using an isolating transformer with an ungrounded output to
supply the EUT; if this is the case, then the L1 and N leakage current
measurements are valid although not in compliance with 60990.)

I hope these comments answer your questions.  (You should ask the lab to
measure leakage current in accordance with 60990!)

Best regards,

Rich