Some thirty years ago, the keynote speaker at an IEEE EMC symposium in the USA
was a noted medical researcher working on the long term health effects of
exposure to EM fields (neurological as opposed to simply thermal effects).

In substance, what he said was we evolved to live with certain levels of EM
field exposure (obviously a few hundred thousand years before Hertz and
Marconi).  He went on to say that you couldn’t hide in a shield room, either,
on account of we evolved in a non-zero EM field environment, so no EM fields
was also not good.

When I hear things like this – another example being a paleo diet – I am struck
by the fact that what we evolved to be was a being that was old at age 35.
Neanderthals were not the monsters their discoverer’s pieced together – they
were all crippled up with arthritis and/or rheumatism sleeping on the ground or
in cold caves.

You can live a fairly unhealthy lifestyle and still make it to age 35 – barring
catastrophic injury or illness, the warranty is in effect. After that, it does
depend on personal habits, genes and the environment, but the idea that how we
evolved has much effect on life past 35 seems a bit of a stretch.

I am reminded of one of those old velvet paintings/posters you’d find at garage
sales and flea markets. Some old cowboy, a lot the worse for wear, missing some
teeth and so on, with the caption, “If I’d known I was going to live this long,
I’d taken better care of myself.”

--

Ken Javor

(256) 650-5261