I think we share sentiments here for the most part Mr. Javor.  I barely know any E3 engineers or Spectrum Managers who have even opened MIL-HDBK-237D, so there is no chance a PM is going to have read it.
What surprised me is that it almost seemed like during the B to C transition the E3 part was totally dropped and the Spectrum part took over.
And it seems like we really haven’t had much guidance on how to establish an E3 program since 237B.
Handbooks actually seem like the appropriate place to walk people through a process in great detail. But… the process in question is program management and it seems like the more precise and detailed the guidance gets, the less accurate it is.
For example, the Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG) is a beautiful 1,250 page masterpiece that is absolutely useless in practice because no one program seems to follow it.
So in many ways I agree with you, but I think having, and updating, that guidance is still useful to early career engineers and anyone looking for a baseline interpretation on these deliverables.
Even if no one followed it, I think it would be nice to have a better breakdown of these DIDs for teaching purposes, if nothing else.

Thanks for your thoughts Ken!
Always appreciated!
Michael Viau