SWAG #2:  non-uniformities in materials + multiple breakdown mechanisms
make it difficult to model.  Mica shows up in 1940's vintage literature.
Here are some interesting papers that I perused after Rich posed the
question:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=9079498
Space change behavior in cross-linked polymers

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/app.49379
Touches on different breakdown mechanisms (see Figure 3; also the Figure 2
reference may be worthwhile but I haven't tried accessing it)

electron injection and avalanche breakdown process

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=65f577afe99e3253e7e3f38054ce9ea49b16a636
Electromechanical breakdown mechanism but also states "The exact cause for
the observed behavior remains to be investigated"

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA635433.pdf
Paschen Curve anomalies (for consideration of gas dielectrics)

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1656858
Describes influence of polymer chain ends (Figure 1 is a good illustration)

Cheers,
Adam in Atlanta
adam.di...@ieee.org

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG