From: Doug Nix <d...@ieee.org>
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] HiPot Testing of 3-Phase PSU Question
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 15:31:19 -0400

Hi Brian,
 This is my bailiwick. If you are talking about semiconductor manufacturing
equipment, the correct standard is IEC 60204-33. If it&rsquo;s standard
manufacturing machinery, then it&rsquo;s IEC 60204-1. Clause 18 calls out 1 kV
or 2x nominal mains voltage, whichever is more for the &ldquo;voltage
test&rdquo; (read hipot) for machinery designed for connection to a TN supply.
The standard permits you to disconnect any equipment that is either
pre-certified (as most industrial PSUs are) or that might be damaged by the
test. Any industrial PSU built today will have surge suppressors on the primary
side. Also, mains filters used in these machines will have Y-caps that will
conduct significant current between the mains conductors and PE during a hipot
test. So, the answer is to disconnect these devices and test the mains voltage
wiring upstream and downstream of them separately. If the PSU is downstream of
a control transformer, you need only test up to the primary of the control
transformer. All industrial equipment is supposed to be hipot tested at the
factory; however, just because it&rsquo;s supposed to be done doesn't make it
so.Best regards, Doug nixd...@ieee.org+1 (519) 729-5704
On Jun 24, 2024, at 08:19, Brian Kunde <bkundew...@gmail.com> wrote:I
understand that commercial products are %100 HiPot tested at the factory.  Does
this rule hold true for 3-phase industrial machinery?
 Here is why I am asking.  I just pre-tested a German build 400-480Vac to 24Vdc
power supply (DIN Rail Mount). It passed all the tests, except it failed the
Phase-to-PE HiPot test at around 1000V. I tried both AC and DC voltage and
tried connecting it from a single phase to PE and tried all phases connected
together to PE.  I tested a second power supply of the same model and it did
the same exact thing. So I am thinking that it is supposed to perform this way.
My concern is that in our factory, they will not be able to HiPot the final
product when the power supply is installed.   I assume the power supply has
some kind of built in surge suppression. So how am I to use this PSU in my
final product? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Best regards to all.
The Other BrianThis message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society
emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to
EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/ Website:
https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/