On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Anders Wallin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:00:56 +0200
> From: Anders Wallin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Lowest speed with servo system ?
>

> Hi all,
>
> With a servo system using quadrature encoder feedback, what is the
> slowest speed that can reliably be used ?
>
> I would imagine that there is a problem if there are no counts between
> successive calls to the PID loop ? resulting in jerky instead of smooth
> slow motion ?

Well since you are in a feedback loop, a position error is needed for drive,
so the best you can do is about +- 1 encoder count.

At very low speeds you will get behavior that looks like a stepper, every time
the desired position moves a count, the servo will follow with a 1 count
move and then stop, so it sounds like a slow stepper :tic,tic,tic...

At higher speeds where the motor/mechanics inertia comes into play, there are
tricks with PLLs and encoder period measurement that can give you sub count
resolution.

> any way to improve on this using some smart HAL code ?
>
> The setup I'm planning would use a 1000 line encoder (4000counts/rev)
> motor directly coupled to a 2.5mm/rev ballscrew. If I require one count
> for each call to the PID loop (1 kHz count rate) then that works out to
> 0.25rev/s or 15 rpm or a feedrate of 37.5mm/min which does not seem that
> low ??
>
> comments appreciated !
>
> Anders

Peter Wallace