Chris

> If I was making a pendant I'd sure want a jogwheel instead of
> plus/minus buttons.  It takes the same number of inputs and works much
> (much!) better.  I have a real jogwheel but one of these days I'm
> going to try one of the little toy knob encoders from mouser etc -
> they're meant to be volume controls or something, but they might
> still be more useful for jogging than two buttons.

The digital pots do work OK for FRO and the like - IMO not enough pulses per
rev for MPG jogging.

Have a look at:

http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttlexpress.htm

It is designed for video editing ($59.95 list in US). USB interface. I have
it set up with the spring loaded shuttle ring for continuous jog (it will do
different speeds depending on the distance you turn it) and the inner jog
wheel does steps.  First four buttons select X, Y, Z, A axes. Fifth button
cycles the step size (in range 0.1" to 0.0001") Very intuitive and fast for
setting up a machine. Not so good for manual machining like you might do
with a calibrated 100 click Fanuc MPG.

The "bad news" for this list is that it is on Mach3 ;=)  I still have little
Linux sys prog experience (and actually not much with USB on Windows) - but
the default Windows driver sees it as a standard HID (vendor ID 0xB33,
Product 0x32). The Ring value has a range on +/- 7 so gives quite sensitive
continuous jog speed control.

If someone made a HAL driver for it, it would, I think,be easy to plug into
EMC2.

John Prentice