On Wednesday 10 January 2007 04:06, John Prentice wrote:
>Chris
>
>> If I was making a pendant I'd sure want a jogwheel instead of
>> plus/minus buttons.  It takes the same number of inputs and works much
>> (much!) better.  I have a real jogwheel but one of these days I'm
>> going to try one of the little toy knob encoders from mouser etc -
>> they're meant to be volume controls or something, but they might
>> still be more useful for jogging than two buttons.
>
>The digital pots do work OK for FRO and the like - IMO not enough pulses
> per rev for MPG jogging.
>
>Have a look at:
>
>http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttlexpress.htm
>
>It is designed for video editing ($59.95 list in US). USB interface. I
> have it set up with the spring loaded shuttle ring for continuous jog
> (it will do different speeds depending on the distance you turn it) and
> the inner jog wheel does steps.  First four buttons select X, Y, Z, A
> axes. Fifth button cycles the step size (in range 0.1" to 0.0001") Very
> intuitive and fast for setting up a machine. Not so good for manual
> machining like you might do with a calibrated 100 click Fanuc MPG.
>
>The "bad news" for this list is that it is on Mach3 ;=)  I still have
> little Linux sys prog experience (and actually not much with USB on
> Windows) - but the default Windows driver sees it as a standard HID
> (vendor ID 0xB33, Product 0x32). The Ring value has a range on +/- 7 so
> gives quite sensitive continuous jog speed control.
>
>If someone made a HAL driver for it, it would, I think,be easy to plug
> into EMC2.
>
>John Prentice

I have a similar device, from a pro editing system, but the interface is
UNK at the moment.  I've been meaning to get it out and see what it looks
like when removed from the panel.  I suspect the outputs are a pair of
quadrature signals for both the continuous dial, and the spring loaded
center=0 back dial.  That dial, in the case of this device was able to
move the tape at any speed from less than a frame per second to full
fwd/rev speeds the capstan motor was capable of, and the last step
released the pinch roller for full fast forward and rewind, but I believe
that was done in the dvc-pro's os rather than in this device.

If and when I figure what sort of signals it can output, I may be back for
hookup and config advice.

Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: