On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 10:25 +0100, Javier Ros Ganuza wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 12:28 -0500, Jim Register wrote:

[thread snipped]
> > Oh, the X40 connector does not have the pairs on the same pins as an
> > RJ45 Ethernet connection.  If you used a stock Ethernet cable, GND
> > and /Z will be on one pair, Z and /A on another, and A and 5VI on a
> > third.  Only B and /B will be on a pair.  You need to wire the RJ45 end
> > so that each signal has its own pair, or the twisted pairs in the cable
> > will actually work against you.
> We've linked the individual cables following the diferent colors of the
> cables that can be seen thought the plastic connector and the conection
> diagram provided for x40 in the 631 manual, the RJ45 cable has been open
> in the opposite end, and corresponding connections has been made
> following motenc-100 terminal board specifications. EMC wonderfully
> drives the assembly  so I think we've made proper connections in this
> side.

I agree that the pins on the x40 connector are connected to the
corresponding pins on the motenc-100 terminal board. You can, however,
improve the noise immunity by rearranging the wires on *both* ends of
the cable.

http://www.imac.unavarra.es/parallel/images/argazkiak/DSCN1697.JPG

In this image, B+ and B- are connected to the blue/blue-white pair, so
the B channel signal has added immunity from noise and crosstalk. On the
other hand, the A channel and X channel signals are each split between
two pairs, so neither receives the benefit of running over a twisted
pair.  If you can remake the RJ-45 end of the cable, you can put each
channel on its own pair and get additional noise immunity.  That was
what I was trying to say earlier.  There's a writeup on balanced signals
and twisted pair here:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable4.htm

Regards,
Jim