Based on the vendor and product you showed me, I would try creating
/etc/udev/rules.d/shuttle.rules with the line
    SYSFS{idProduct}=="0020", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0b33", MODE="660",
GROUP="plugdev"
then unplug and re-plug the device, and list the directory /dev/input to
see if there is a device with group 'plugdev', which should be readable
by your user.

Then try
    loadusr hal_input ShuttleXPress
and try 'show pin' to see what hal_input found

You shouln't need a -ANYTHING flag.  The only real use for that is if
you want to control keyboard LEDs but not use keyboard keys:
    loadusr hal_input -L keyboard
(it looks like the documentation for -KRAL isn't quite right, aside from
being confusing -- -K covers keys and buttons, contrary to what I wrote
in the manpage)

Jeff