If you jog via the GUI (i.e. Axis), you can select between
Continuous and one of several increments.  Why not have jogwheels
behave the same way?  Mode selection could be via pyVCP buttons, or
physical buttons on the control panel.  In continuous mode, the
rate at which the wheel is spun could have the same effect as the
Jog Speed slider in the GUI.

If jogging functionality were moved to HAL, the combo box and radio
buttons for jogging could be used for the jog wheel as well.  The
Jog Speed slider could function as a multiplier when the wheel is
used in Continuous mode, if so desired.

Mark
--- Matthew Glenn Shaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 10:54 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
> > Other people don't like that "unwinding", and would rather have
> the
> > wheel "slip" when you spin it too fast.  If we make the wheel
> slip, you
> >   don't have to worry about overrun, but you also can't trust
> the dial
> > on the wheel anymore.
>
> The only commercial machine I've ever run that would "unwind the
> spring"
> is a Bridgeport (Boss 8). This did not add to it's charm ;).
> Also, what
> if you jog past a soft limit? The wheel is then out of sync
> anyway.
>
> How about this:
>
> 1. An axis is stationary.
> 2. The jog wheel function for that axis is enabled.
> 3. An "in sync" light turns on.
> 4. The operator turns the wheel & the axis moves.
> 5. If the wheel gets ahead of the axis, the "in sync" light goes
> out to
> let the operator know the wheel scale is off.
> 6. If the wheel stops turning, the axis stops moving ASAP.
>
> Perhaps the wheel should be electronically geared to the axis,
> but only
> slip if axis max acceleration is violated.
>
> Matt
>
> PS. The "in sync" light could be a cool backlight on the jog
> wheel
> assembly itself :).

> share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn
> cash

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
bargains.