This could be a simple matter of disagreement between the pull up or
pull down resistor on the pin and the way that it's wired.  Long years
ago now we had a similar issue with the NIST hexapod when DaveA showed
it off.  The extra parport pins had no pull-up resistors.  We used an
external +5 volt supply, added the resistors, and the extra two motors
started going.

Like Manfredi and several others have said recently, HAL is most easily
discovered and manipulated while running.  I use halshow but then I
wrote it because I like point and click.  If you get a configuration
that will start up, halshow can let you look around a running HAL and
allow you to test connections.

When I first tried to build a run button, I got it connected and then
"discovered" that it kicked up an error message if I pressed it again
while a program was running.  I got round this problem by adding a
ladder rung that said,

if halui.mode.is-auto and halui.program.is-idle -- pull program start
pin.

I could imagine adding a bit more logic to that run switch by making the
same button signal a feedhold if the interpreter is running, or release
feedhold if the interpreter is paused.  This would take some additional
testing to verify.

HTH

Ray