I have finally gotten to the point where I am running my bridgeport on
Emc2 and have spent time tuning the software parameters to what I
thought were optimum.  When I home the x and y axis, they home within
<.001 in. consistently.  I have a DRO to monitor table position.  I am
running with a max velocity of  1.5 (90) ipm and max acceleration of
2.0.  The motors are Superior Electric Slo-Syn 840 oz-in 200 steps per
rev with a 2.5 ratio to the ball screw with a pitch of  0.2.  This
worked out to a scale of 2500. The driver boards accept  quadrature
signals from the three parallel ports.

However when I run axis.ngc, the ending x and y positions are at
variance from the commanded positions and each time I run the program
(after first homing), I get different variances. I calculated the
variances by subtracting the actual position from the commanded position
and x can vary from -.148 to +.009, while y can vary from .063 to .008.
I tried reducng the acceleration to 1.0 , reducing max velocity to .75
and changing the cutting rate from 60 to 5 in the ngc program and still
no significant improvement.  I can't figure out what is causing my setup
to behave this way, and wonder if any one has any ideas on this or has
come across this behavior before?  Here is a portion of the ini file:

[EMC]
VERSION =               $Revision: 1.8.2.3 $
MACHINE =               EMC-HAL-STEP-IN
NML_FILE =              emc.nml
DEBUG = 0

[DISPLAY]

DISPLAY =              axis

CYCLE_TIME =            0.200

POSITION_OFFSET =       RELATIVE

POSITION_FEEDBACK =     ACTUAL

MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE =     1.2

PROGRAM_PREFIX = /usr/share/emc/ncfiles/
INTRO_GRAPHIC =         emc2.gif
INTRO_TIME =            5

[TASK]

TASK =                  milltask

CYCLE_TIME =            0.010
[RS274NGC]
PARAMETER_FILE =        stepper.var

[EMCMOT]

EMCMOT =                motmod

SHMEM_KEY =             111

COMM_TIMEOUT =          1.0

COMM_WAIT =             0.010

BASE_PERIOD=             50000

SERVO_PERIOD =           1000000

TRAJ_PERIOD =           10000000

[HAL]

HALFILE =                1BPstepper.hal
HALFILE =                1BPpinout.hal

[TRAJ]

AXES =                  3
COORDINATES =            X Y Z
HOME =                  0 0 0
LINEAR_UNITS =          inch
ANGULAR_UNITS =         degree
CYCLE_TIME =            0.010
DEFAULT_VELOCITY =      0.0167
MAX_VELOCITY =          1.5
DEFAULT_ACCELERATION =  15.0
MAX_ACCELERATION =      2.10

[AXIS_0]

TYPE =                                     LINEAR
HOME =                                   0.000
MAX_VELOCITY =                1.5
MAX_ACCELERATION =     2.0
STEPGEN_MAXVEL =           1.6
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL =     2.06
BACKLASH =                         0.002
INPUT_SCALE =                    2500
OUTPUT_SCALE =               1.000
MIN_LIMIT =                       -13.2
MAX_LIMIT =                       13.2
FERROR =                              0.050
MIN_FERROR =                    0.010
HOME_OFFSET =                 13.21
HOME_SEARCH_VEL =       0.8
HOME_LATCH_VEL =         0.05
HOME_USE_INDEX =          NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS =  YES

[AXIS_1]

TYPE =                                    LINEAR
HOME =                                  0.000
MAX_VELOCITY =               1.5
MAX_ACCELERATION =     2.0
STEPGEN_MAXVEL =          1.6
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL =     2.06
BACKLASH =                         0.002
INPUT_SCALE =                    2500
OUTPUT_SCALE =                1.000
MIN_LIMIT =                        -5.69
MAX_LIMIT =                        7.0
FERROR =                              0.050
MIN_FERROR =                    0.010
HOME_OFFSET =                 7.7
HOME_SEARCH_VEL =       0.8
HOME_LATCH_VEL =         0.05
HOME_USE_INDEX =          NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS =  YES

[AXIS_2]

TYPE =                                  LINEAR
HOME =                                0.0
MAX_VELOCITY =             1.0
MAX_ACCELERATION =   2.0
STEPGEN_MAXVEL =        1.05
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL =   2.06
BACKLASH =                       0.000
INPUT_SCALE =                  2000
OUTPUT_SCALE =              1.000
MIN_LIMIT =                      -4.54
MAX_LIMIT =                      0.2
FERROR =                            0.050
MIN_FERROR =                  0.010
HOME_OFFSET =               0.2
HOME_SEARCH_VEL =     0.5
HOME_LATCH_VEL =       0.05