The OS is Ubuntu 6.06...the same I use at home.
This is the computer I use at university, so I cannot check other things
right now because I'm not there, I can try other things tomorrow and will
let you know what happened. the PC is a P4 on a ASUS P5VD2-MX SE motherboard
with 512 Mb RAM.

Please note that I've installed packages gettext and tclx8.3 as suggested by
paul_c and chris, but the result was the same.
Also, I don't know if it is important, the official release of EMC2 2.1.5
works perfectly.

And...alex said "Might not be the same as the tcl msgcat package which tkemc
looks for...", but I'm not using tkemc interface...because the config
selector doesn't open.

thanks,

Manfredi

My websites: www.m24-pro.com