I was wondering how the spindle sync works, roughly anyways.

It sounds like emc uses the counts between index to track the spindle.
then the index must be just to reset the count and as a starting point for
threading.
How does the tracking work ? Check that every pulse the Z axis has moved an
appropriate amount?

I think most machines just use the index as a starting point. The problem with
that is if u start threading then want to speed up or slow down the spindle
(usually because of chatter) it will start cutting in a slightly different spot
because of lag time.

This is certainly the case for the okuma when I used the OEM control.

Has anyone tried changing spindle speeds to see if it tracks correctly? ( I
would stop the threading program ,change the G code spindle speed , then rerun
the program.)

Chris Morley