On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:46 -0700, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> It would be
> nice to have another for the three phase coolant pump VFD too.

That's what Ray & I did, although I had planned to control the VFD over
its Modbus interface. Last year at the CNC Workshop I adapted some
software I found on the Internet to control one of these drives that Ray
brought to the show. I've never integrated it into the EMC though. It
should probably be a HAL module, although I don't think speed commands
really need to be handled in real time. Like Jon said, variable speed
coolant! M7P11.5 maybe? I don't know...

> I am
> planning to replace the resolvers with encoders, but is there any reason
> to keep the tachometers? Removing both, plus the gearbox they are
> mounted to, would free up space for a proper encoder, it seems.

That is actually what Ray & I ended up doing. I did have built, replicas
of the resolvers. They had the identical "shaft end", but the body was
shortened and the rear face was machined to accept US Digital kit
encoders. Ultimately, these didn't get used because the body of the
encoder stuck out too far (perpendicular to the axis of the fake encoder
body) no matter which way they were rotated. So, the existing planetary
gearbox was removed leaving only the aluminum ring that supported it
which was drilled & tapped to fit the USD kit encoders. Small shaft
extensions (I think 3/8" OD x ID to match the protruding ball screw end)
were turned up upon which new 3/8" ID encoder disks rotate. We are
tachless in Baltimore...

Yes, I have blueprints of this stuff. Yes, I'll also try to post
pictures too....

Matt