Hi John

A board like you are looking at will certainly get you started with step
and direction.  It can also allow you to test HAL things by connecting
switches to pins and see them work.  Back in the old days we used to cut
apart parport cables and wire these in but you can't do that today with
Gecko drives and 3 volt mobos.  There are many stepper driven minimills
out there running with these kinds of interface cards.  The down side is
that you are pretty much limited to steppers and a few IO.  You're also
limited to 3-5 volt -- a pretty big limit for an old guy like me.

The alternative you mention, a card like the M5i20 does offer many more
pins and a wider variety of function.  Using one of these requires a bit
bigger step up to understand all the extra stuff you'll see in the HAL.
If you plan to experiment with servo systems, any thing beyond the open
loop, step-and-direction signalled sort like Rutex or Gecko, you'll need
the ability to read in encoder signals at fairly high speed.  In
addition, the IO breakouts for this card or similar permit the use of
higher DC voltages.  This is a plus if you use prox switches and
industrial grade relays.

m2cw

Rayh