While I can't comment on the wireless network other than it should work.
I do have some comments on steppers and encoders. Unless you have some
real high rent stepper drives capable of running your steppers at
rediculess micro step counts encoder feedback is poimtless. First thing
a proper stepper setup should NOT lose steps! Second if you add all the
variables, tolerances, assembly, and missalignments in the machine you
still probably can't justify using encoder feedback. Unless your machine
is extremely accurate and near perfectly aligned, you would need drives
and motors capable of very high microstep counts. Then your steppers
could be run with encoder feedback and would act more like servos than
steppers. IMO it would be much more cost effective and practical to just
switch to actual servo drives. Less burden on the computer (EMC) and
easier to implement. Glass scales are also expensive at high
resolutions. To use Glass scales for position feedback requires a very
tight positioning system with zero or near zero backlash. I'm sure that
encoder feedback is possible to setup, I just don't see the need or
benefit of it. Last words, a properly setup stepper system should NOT
LOSE STEPS! And minor amounts of backlash can probably be ignored. I
have .002" ~ .003" backlash. It's not really backlash but more of a
windup due to motor coupling and the extra load of spring loaded anti
backlash nuts. It doesn't present a problem as the machine repeats
within .001 or better so the windup issue get's ignored and I have no
problems with it.

Just my 25 cents, (inflation)
Dale