RogerN wrote:
> Would my EMC2 system work with USB wireless networking?  I'm thinking of
> this because I could connect the USB wireless adapter to a USB extension
> and position it for better reception.  I'm just not sure if it would
> work on my Ubuntu Linux EMC2 system.  Another option would be a PCI card
> and an external antenna with cable.
>
> Also, after getting to play with hal configurations a bit, It seems like
> it wouldn't be too difficult to get steppers working with encoder
> feedback.  If you would set up a pid loop => frequency generator and
> configure velocity feed forward to run the steppers at the commanded
> velocity, then pid gains could be set to take care of position
> deviations.  This would be useful in detection and correction of lost
> steps for one.
It will correct for single lost steps, especially at axis
reversals.  This should never happen anyway, it is because of a
mismatch between step/direction timing from the controller and
what the step driver requires.  It would be better to fix the
step timing rather than cover it up.

This scheme will not handle motor stalls, however!  Once the
motor has stalled, it will just grind and rattle rather than
catch up and get back into lock (until the computer slows down
the commanded velocity.)

Jon