> These posts bring to mind two long running thoughts, one directly
> related to EMC and one not quite so related.

I want to make sure people are aware that these _are_ two distinct ideas
and that one is not reliant on the other. I think it would be a bad idea
for the two to be directly associated as there will eventually be
conflicts of interest between the two entities. This doesn't mean that
they can't help each other out when it is mutually advantageous.

#1:
> an entity so that we can accept and use contributions to the central
> benefit of the project -- contributions of code, cash, or whatever.

I think the board should decide if they want to form a fund/foundation or
non-profit corporation, since they will be doing all of the work. (?) It
is a fair amount of paperwork. The major goal here is to obtain a tax
status for the EMC project - the board already serves the other functions.
I dont think that distribution of money and hardware will be so very
contentious as long as it is made clear from the start 1) whether said
equipment is on loan from EMC and 2) whether a programmer is being paid
to accomplish a specific task, with a bounty system for example. A bounty
system would be useful for end-users in its own right.

and entity #2:
> a web mediated [decentralized] manufacturing business

This is huge, and whoever gets there first is going to stay the default
for a long time, for better or worse. This is due to "network effects"
which you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

There is an amazing series of articles which vividly describe what I
imagine as an ideal "open" distributed manufacturing community, and the
steps it would take to get such a thing running. If you are interested in
this sort of thing you should read them too:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_matter_economy
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_matter_economy_2 ...
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_matter_economy_7

The biggest roadblock in this endeavor will probably be software
compatibility. In order for our "network" to be useful to outsiders we
have to be able to read the drawings they send to us.

I spent a few weeks getting a feel for the feasibility of writing
translation libraries for STEP/ISO-10303, the official CAD/CIM/everything
exchange format. Unfortunately it seems that the perverse incentives
inherent in the standards creation process make it extremely hard to read
the documentation.

I mean it's really hard to actually read it, once you've paid the $15k or
so to actually get the documents. (You can get an idea by looking at the
draft standards.) This is done so the people who wrote the standards get
to keep their jobs as the people who read and explain the standards to you
in plain english. There are some open source projects available such as
NIST's expresso and express-engine which make it more like reverse
engineering rather than reading legalese, and this should appeal to
software developers.

Maybe this should be moved into its own thread.

   -fenn