(need probe diameter)
  The inspection aspect can be the focus of MUCH development: Holes,
Bosses, Cylinders, Distances, Cones, ...

#1 = 2.00     (approximate diameter of hole to be probed)
(ask operator)
#2 = .200     (probe distance)
(ask operator)
#3 = .1       (clearance distance to position probe tip near edge of
hole) (do not ask operator)
#4 =  0       (x - desired absolute hole position after probing)
(ask operator)
#5 =  0       (y - desired absolute hole position after probing)
(ask operator)
#6 =  54      (desired offset G54 - G59.3)
(ask operator)
#7 = record the X absolute position of the probe tip at the start of probe cycle
#8 = record the Y absolute position of the probe tip at the start of probe cycle

(operator instruction - position probe tip near the center of the hole)
(PROBEOPEN holeprobe.tmp)
G91 G00 X [#1/2-#3]        (rapid to the first probe start position)
G01 F10.0                       (feedrate could be parameterized)
G91 G38.2 X#2              (probe inside the X positive edge of the hole)
G91 G00 X -[#1/2-#3]       (rapid to the second probe start position)
G91 G38.2 X-#2             (probe inside the X negative edge of the hole)
G90 G00 X#7 Y#8            (rapid to the probe cycle start position)
G91 G00 Y [#1/2-#3]        (rapid to the third probe start position)
G91 G38.2 Y#2              (probe inside the Y positive edge of the hole)
G91 G00 Y -[#1/2-#3]       (rapid to the fourth probe start position)
G91 G38.2 Y-#2             (probe inside the Y negative edge of the hole)
(PROBECLOSE)

open holeprobe.tmp with ?PYTHON?
compare two x positions to determine the midpoint - this is the x
center position
compare two y positions to determine the midpoint - this is the y
center position
apply desired position (#4) to the calculated x midpoint and write to
the parameter file
apply desired position (#5) to the calculated y midpoint and write to
the parameter file

thanks
Stuart