Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>Greetings;
>>
>>I friend has sent me an archive of .gbr files to see what I think of the
>>project.  Unforch, gerbview is only showing me a black, blank screen even if
>>I surround the filenames, which have winders spaces in them, with either
>>single or dbl-quotes.
>>
>>The format of the files looks legit to me, so what sort of a viewer do I need
>>to be able to both see these, and convert them to g-code?
>>
>>Here is the head from one of them.
>>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] ROM Pak Board]# head -n 30 ROMPAK_Bottom.gbr
>>%FSTAX23Y23*%
>>

> All the gerber files I've seen have FSLA in them, not FSTA.  The T means
> "Trailing" and the L means "Leading".  I have no idea what they're
> trailing or leading around though :)  (the X23Y23 means X and Y
> coordinates are in 2.3 digit format)

The X and Y coords have the decimal point suppressed, as you say
the industry standard is "L" for leading zero supp.  That means
(for 2.3 format) the coords are just plain mils, ie. 12345 +
12.345 inches.  This format is Trailing zero suppression, so
12345 would be the same, but 12 would be 12.000"
> I didn't see aperture information, which could be a problem.  I'm not
> sure I'd recognize it if I did see it though.

The aperture info is the %ADD100.010* which defines aperture D10
as .010"
> If the files aren't huge, you can email me one, and I can see if it
> loads in Altium.
I suspect the T is going to prevent Altium from processing it
properly, or at all.  They used to send CAM350 or some gerber
viewer with their Protel software, which is a lot more general
Gerber file reader.

Jon