On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 07:17:31AM +1000, AKSYS Tech Pty Ltd wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been playing around with the different user interfaces for EMC
> and have a couple of questions.  I was initially interested in using the
> "MINI" interface but I would like to be able to backplot my code before
> actually running the machine - is this possible?

Mini does not have a preview plot feature.  AXIS is the only GUI with
this capability.

> My other question about
> the "MINI" interface is , can it be used for lathe work i.e threading???

Yes, the dialect of g-code is exactly the same no matter which GUI you
use.

> is there a way to edit the tool table
> via the user interface, or do you have to manually open the tool file
> and edit it there?

AXIS doesn't have a tool-table editor built in.  In the upcoming EMC 2.2
it will be possible to re-load the tool table and open an external tool
editor (such as the gedit text editor) from the menu in AXIS.

> Also with "AXIS" is there a way to set & store Work
> Offsets other than G54?

In the upcoming EMC 2.2 it will be possible to set any G5x coordinate
system offset using Touch Off.  In 2.1.7 and earlier, only the G54
coordinate system can be set this way.

Jeff